2.09.2012

Interview with Jessica Spotswood

I have the immense pleasure of interviewing the debut author Jessica Spotswood. Jessica's book, BORN WICKED, came out on Tuesday. It's a fantastic story about Cate Cahill and her sisters. The girls have a secret: they're witches. And it's the worst thing they can be for their kind are not tolerated. But what happens when their secret is revealed?

Note: it's WAY better than that. Just read the interview.

If you could be any item on a Mexican restaurant menu, what would you be and why? 

Salmon tacos with fresh salsa & cilantro! They’re my favorite. 

Tell us about your book in 6 words or less.  

Witches & sisters & kissing! 

Who are your two favorite characters in BW? What can you tell us about them in 5 words or less? 

Cate: stubborn, protective, loving sister 

Finn: clever, brave, handsome bookseller

Did you have to research about anything in BW? What are some things you learned and how did they shape the novel? (if you can tell without spoiling) 

One of Editor Amazing’s notes in my edit letter was to “ruffle my corsets” – to add more physical description of the settings and costumes. I did a lot of research into Victorian clothing and home décor, and also autumn gardens. I think the reading I did (and pictures I looked at) helped tremendously in making it a more lush, descriptive book. 

What's one thing you want readers to know about BW if that's all they ever get to know? 

It was really important to me to create a protagonist who is independent but also flawed, who means well but doesn’t always choose the right thing, whose mistakes have consequences – and who is loved anyway. I hope I’ve accomplished that with Cate

What's the most surprising thing about the publishing process so far? The scariest? The most exciting?  

The most surprising: how quickly everything happened after my book deal! It will be less than a year between BW going out on sub and seeing it on shelves. 

The scariest: writing book two, my first sequel, under a four-month deadline. Second books are tricky, challenging beasts. But I hope it will be amazing! 

The most exciting: hearing from readers who love Cate and Finn and Maura and Tess. It makes me so, so happy! 

Thank you Jessica!!

BORN WICKED came out on Tuesday and is available everywhere. Watch this book trailer and I think it will convince you. I devoured this book. The world, the characters, the magic are all wonderfully delicious. And Finn? He's super awesome. I think everyone will find something to like about it.

Jessica will part of the Breathless Reads Tour. Check out this page for all the stops. You can also download samplers from all books here.  OR you can read the first two chapters of BW here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!! I appreciate you stopping by! :)