3.23.2011

Blogger Interview: Terri from Read & Riot

Today I have my first blogger interview! If you're interested in doing an interview or a guest post, then just let me know! Today's blogger is

Terri from Read & Riot.


Tell us some facts about yourself.

I’m an 18 year old Canadian girl who loves to read. I also love chocolate. If you made me choose a favourite book, I would hide from you. Harry Potter holds a special place in my heart. I still listen to The Spice Girls and S Club 7. I miss Sailor Moon. I wish Veronica Mars was never cancelled. I don’t own the Hannah Montana Movie, but I’ve seen it at least ten times. I’ve loved Paramore since I was in grade six. I can quote Gilmore Girls. I love Spring, and I strongly dislike Winter. Glee makes me ridiculously happy.

Why did you start blogging? How long ago?

I started Read & Riot this year. It was in the planning stages during the fourth quarter of 2010. My reasons for starting Read & Riot aren’t entirely honorable. I’ve been working in a book store (Indigo Books & Music) for over two years, and I had never heard about book bloggers. I know, you’re shocked. Take a moment to curse and read on. So, back in November 2010, I had never heard of book bloggers or Advanced Readers Copies or anything that comes with the territory. I was in line for a Cassandra Clare / Holly Black book signing where I met my artist friend Vy. Vy introduced me to ARCs, which led to book blogging. I had previously met someone who worked in publishing and I learned more from them about this genre. Now, I had new knowledge AND free books arriving in my mailbox. I could contently and happily read what I was sent, or I could tell people about it....It was made clear that I had no obligation to review anything. I still don’t. I review because I want to. I love blogging. Plain and simple.

 What's your favorite thing about blogging?

My favourite thing about blogging is my favourite thing about twitter. I love getting to talk to people all over the world, and book blogging gives me a chance to do that. It’s possible to bond over books (hello, Harry Potter!). If you think about it it’s incredible. I have a new friend that I talk to multiple times a week, and our first conversations were about Stephenie Meyer’s, The Host. How is that not amazing?

I also have to mention that getting the chance to communicate with authors is wonderful, and a huge bonus.


 Dream fictional boy?
Now I would be betraying myself if I didn’t say that Harry Potter was my dream fictional boy. Therefore, Harry Potter is my dream fictional boy. But if I had to pick another … it might possibly be Irial from Melissa Marr’s Wicked Lovely novels.

What do you want to be when you grown up?

What do I want to be when I grow up? When I figure it out I’ll let you know. Teacher, social worker, working in publishing … I still have time to figure it all out.

 Favorite Meme in the blogosphere?
My favourite meme in the blogosphere to write is Top Ten Tuesday by The Broke and the Bookish. I love it because I love lists and narrowing down my favourites is a challenge for me. My favourite meme to read is Waiting on Wednesday by Breaking the Spine. After all, I’m always looking for new books to add to the list.

What you look for when you read a book/decide to review a book?
I can’t tell you what I look for when I’m in a book store choosing a book. Sometimes the cover will catch my eye. I have my go-to authors. Plus, I find recommendations to be helpful.
 
Now, I’m going to get this out there. I find reviewing hard. It takes me hours, and sometimes I get very frustrated, but there are a couple of things that help me express myself. When I review a book:

* I make a list of notes about the book while I’m reading it.
* I focus on how the book made me feel.
* I follow my review checklist (premise, plot, writing, characters).
* I keep the book beside me as I write.

What are your top 5 favorite books?
I’m going to list my top five favourite books for you. I hated making this list, because I found it so difficult. I love so many books, and it took me a long time to narrow it down. I am very, very surprised with the books I ended up choosing for this.

1. Harry Potter series
Why? I’m like many children. Harry Potter is what got me into reading. I cannot explain to you how much I love this series. This is the only book or series where I have actually imagined myself as a character in it. I think everyone who can should read Harry Potter at least once in their life.

2. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
Why? I think it’s safe to say that Sarah Dessen is my favourite author. Or at least top three. She’s an incredible writer, and I can honestly say that because I’ve read most of her books. There are amazing themes in Just Listen, and I even have some of the quotes written on the back of my door.

3. Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr
Why? I usually don’t love the continuation of a series as much as I love the first book, but I love Ink Exchange more than Wicked Lovely. It might be because of Irial. He just happens to be one of my favourite fictional characters ever. Also, as strange as this may sound, I could really, really relate to Leslie.

4. Pluto’s Ghost by Sheree Fitch
Why? This book is one of a kind. I love the narrator / main character, Jake Upshore. He’s a character that makes you want to read. Plus, the writing style is incredibly interesting.

5. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Why? This is one of the best love stories I’ve ever read. I’m smiling right now just thinking about it.

What books have changed you in some way?

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
Reason: It’s the most incredible thing I’ve ever read. Like I said, it’s the only book or series I have imagined myself in. Also, it’s magical.

Lucky by Alice Sebold
Reason: This book covers adult themes, so if you’re under the age of 18 you shouldn't read what I’m about to say. This is Alice Sebold’s autobiography. She discusses her rape, the trial, and the aftermath. It’s impossible to read it and come out unscathed, especially if you’re female.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Reason: I felt for these characters. I felt for Katniss. The story made me so emotional. It was just something that stuck with me.

What books have you read the most?
Harry Potter, Hush Hush, The Darkest Powers, Wake trilogy, Megan Meade’s Guide to the McGowan Boys, Top Ten Uses For An Unworn Prom Dress, The Mortal Instruments, Stephanie Plum novels.

Trusted authors?
Sarah Dessen, Meg Cabot, Kelley Armstrong, Susane Colasanti, Holly Black,, Cassandra Clare, Lisa McMann.

Anything else?
I got extremely lucky and am exceptionally grateful. Thank you for giving me this chance. I hope you enjoyed getting to know me.

Thanks, Terri! She's really great. Check out her blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!! I appreciate you stopping by! :)