9.01.2010

Thirteen *Wednesday* with Kody Keplinger

Welcome to another segment of Thirteen Thursday Wednesday. Today, I have debut author Kody Keplinger. Her book The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) comes out on September 7th but some places have it out now! I'm excited to have her here because she is so sweet. Welcome to Thirteen Wednesday!

If you were an item on a Mexican restaurant, what you be and why?
I'd be salsa! Because I can be spicy, but, at the same time, not to spicy to scare you away. Just spicy enough to keep you coming back and enjoying.  (I hope - this is a weird anology, lol) 

Have you ever played two truths and a lie? Let’s do it now. Two truths and a lie. Maybe some readers can figure out the lie….
I have never ridden a horse.
I made Fs in reading when I was in fourth grade.
I like tacos. 

What is your favorite Paramore song and kind of cupcake?
I'm listening to Paramore RIGHT NOW.  Weird!
Favorite is a tie-- torn between "The Only Exception" (which is on my DUFF soundtrack) and "When It Rains" which I just love.

Cupcakes? Chocolate all the way, babe. 

If you weren’t a writer, what would you be?
Something in film. I LOVE TV and movies, and I still hope to work with one of them some day. Even just for a short time. 

You've said before you read all different genres. What would you say are your top 6 can’t-live-without books?
OH, fun!
1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
2. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (yes, I count all 7 as one here!)
3. To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
4. Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret - Judy Blume
5. Ballads of Suburbia - Stephanie Kuehnert
6. Perfect You - Elizabeth Scott 

What is your favorite or worst high school memory?
Favorite - driving around town with 5 of my friends until 2am just doing nothing but talking.  Simple, but wonderful. 

What is one thing that you have learned about the industry that you wish you would’ve known when you got started?
Deadlines - they really exist!  They aren't just things on TV, they happen, and you have to meet them and it isnt' always easy. It takes time and casues stress, but its worth it in the end.

You published at 18, a rare thing. Do you think that it’s changed you or your future goals?
I hope not as far as changing me. I hope I'm the same girl I was.  I think I am.
AS for goals - yes, it has changed those.  Because getting published was a distant "probably won't happen" goal for me.  Now, it's real, and my goals have to adjust. My primary goals are to write a few more books worthy of publication and finish college with my sanity in tact! 

How do you manage to balance life, college, writing and interviews like these? (Thanks, again!)
Sometimes, I don't.  Sometimes I forget to do the homework assignment or I miss a night of writing or I totally blank on an interview.  I just hold on and hope for the best - I'm really no superhero. Doing it all is hard, but I do my best and that's all anyone can expect, I think. 

Where did you get the inspiration for Bianca and The Duff?
The first thing was GOSSIP GIRL. I was obsessed with Chuck and Blair and thought that "Hey, I wanna write a love/hate kind of romance."
Then I heard the word "DUFF" and joked that that would be the title of a book I wrote one day.  I didn't really MEAN it, but a week or two later, when I heard the song "I Can't Stay Away" by the Veronicas, I realized that my love/hate romance and DUFF may just go together.  From there, Bianca nad Wesley just kind of appeared.  It all fell into place. 

What would you say to anyone who feels like Bianca?
One thing:
You are not alone.
We all feel insecure sometimes.  It's normal. It sucks, but its kind of a uniter.  Just remember you aren't alone. 

There are a lot of lessons and themes that can be pulled out of this book. What is the one that sticks out as the most important one?
To me, its that you can't escape from you problems.  Be they self esteem issues or family drama - you can't just run away and pretend it isn't happening.  It's better to confront your troubles head on instead of letting them fester. Bianca learns that the hard way. 

What is one thing you want people to know about The Duff if that’s all they ever get to know?
It was probably the most fun and yet challenging thing I've ever written, and I hope it is an equally fun and challenging read.

Thanks Kody!!

We also have a giveaway! Do you want a signed copy of "The Duff"?? Yes, I know you do. Well, you can get one. You have until 2pm on Thursday! (tomorrow)

You must: 
Fill out the form to enter and have US or Canada address only

Gain extra entries you can:
Comment on the post (+1)
Tweet this contest (+1)
Follow the blog (New follower +2,  Old follower +3)

8 comments:

  1. These young authors are inspirational! I wrote books in high school, but you'll never see them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! Wow, she sounds so sweet and humble. I've been dying to read her book, I swear.

    Awesome blog, by the way! And thanks for the giveaway--you've pretty much made my day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I had no idea this was inspired by Gossip Girl. That's really intriguing and makes me want to read it more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview... I'm glad you asked her how she balanced everything, because I have been wondering! It's kind of refreshing to hear an author say "I don't!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. What an amazing accomplishment, getting such a widely-talked about book published at 18! I hope I can achieve that someday!

    thanks so much for this contest!
    Angela Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice-- we are not alone!
    Thanks for the contest and interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is closed now! :) Come back next week...it's GOOD.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!! I appreciate you stopping by! :)