12.07.2010

Book Talk: Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead


Publisher: Razorbill
Date: December 7, 2010
Series or Standalone: Final in series (#6)
ISBN: 978-1595143068
Format: Hardcover, 594 pages
Source: Ordered from work & got it early!!
Description: (from back of cover)

It all comes down to now.

Murder. Love. Jealousy. And the ultimate sacrifice.

The Queen is dead and the Moroi world will never be the same. Now, with Rose awaiting wrongful execution and Lissa in a deadly struggle for the royal throne, the girls find themselves forced to rely upon enemies and to question those they thought they could trust….

But what if true freedom means sacrificing the most important thing of all? Each other. 

 (Quote from back)

"As much as it killed me--as much I tried to deny it--I still felt a lingering attraction to Dimitri. But he had rejected me, and I needed to harden my heart, especially if I was to move on with Adrian. 

"Sorry Roza," Dimitri's eyes flashed. "If Lissa wants me to be your bodyguard, then that's what I'll be." He gave me a dangerous look. "There's no way you're getting rid of me anytime soon."

First line: I don’t like cages.
There are NO spoilers. I promise.  You can read chapter one here for free. Now.

Did you know that Vampire Academy was the first YA book I read? It’s true. I really loved that series and it opened many more pages for me, spurred me on to my deep passion for YA. I’m so glad the last book of the series came out this year. Why? Because 2011 starts a new round of entrancing YA series. (And believe it or not, sometimes there can be too many to keep track of.) Anyway, I’ve been so excited for Last Sacrifice.

I was distraught at the end of Spirit Bound because nothing was working out for Rose. I loved Dimitri, and admittedly Adrian, and everything was one mess and struggle after another. Rose deserved a good ending, which she didn’t get. Of course, with one more book how could she get that? That girl was a hard-working heroine. So, for months we wait and wait and wonder, “What will happen at the end?”

That excitement and the wondering was so worth it. I couldn’t have been any more pleased with this book. Wow.

Last Sacrifice is nearly 600 pages—it’s wonderfully massive and hard to hold. Every page is filled with action, anticipation and lots of “what just happened?” At least for me. The book opens with Rose in jail for the murder of Queen Tatiana. Abe is there and tells her two things. One, her trial will be moved up to happen in two weeks. Two, he promised her in the courtroom that she will not be executed—or even go to trial. He plans to stick to that promise.

I don’t want to give anything away because this is an epic title and a great conclusion to the series. Let’s just say that after the visit with Abe things get interesting—and stay interesting—for the next 590 pages. If you’ve been waiting for this title, you’ll be thrilled to read it.

All of our questions are answered.  The truth of the illegitimate Dragomir is explored. Victor Dashkov returns. Snarky lines are exchanged. The question of Moroi being trained to fight is resolved. The queen’s murderer is revealed. Some people are saved. Some people die. A lot of asses are kicked. A new queen is selected. A last sacrifice is made.

And of course, the burning question gets answered: Rose and…Dimitri or Adrian?

Oh man, oh man. It’s so good. And do not fear, the spin-off series will be in our hands sooner or later. Crap. There goes that theory about a series ending…*adds new one to tentative calendar.*

This was definitely my favorite of the series! You will not be disappointed by this series finale! *eep * Let me know when you read it!

4 comments:

  1. I loved it! Bought it and took it home IMMEDITATLY to read. I am disappointed with how things ended for certain characters. Or lack of ending I should say. I am sure those paticular people will appear in the spin-off. >.< I don't want to wait that long though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is a satisfying and wonderful end to a great series. Rose is amazing, and she makes me laugh all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looooved this series, particularly this book. Great review (Y) I can't believe she's writing a spin off, *exciteeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally got a copy. Cant wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!! I appreciate you stopping by! :)