8.22.2010

Book Talk: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White


Publisher: HarperTeen 
Date: August 31, 2010
Series or Standalone: Series, book 1
ISBN: 978-0061985843
Format: Hardcover, 352 pages
Description:

Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.

But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.



First line: "Wait--did you--you just yawned!"


What can I say? If you've heard anything about Paranormalcy by Kiersten White then you've probably heard how bleeping amazing it is. Everyone has said great things about it---and that's because it IS great. Bleeping great.

From the first page, Evie's voice is there. She's kicking paranormal butt, cracking jokes and getting mixed up in these unbelievable situations, all while trying to figure out who she is. And, let's face it, I love a good "who the bleep am I supposed to be" story. It's the one thing I think every person goes through--and when it's paired with hot boys, killer vamps and crazy fairies then what's not to love? But I'm getting ahead of myself.
 
The story is so unique. It's not your typical YA Paranormal. It's so much more. It is funny and refreshing. The characters are whoa-awesome, the jokes are witty, the drama is dramatic, the romance is awwwww and the story. Did I mention the story? Fun. Unique. Hilarious. I did? Sorry. It was worth repeating. I was trying to figure out what to write in this review that wouldn't be me saying "awesome" over and over again.

So, I decided to focus on the characters. I love a good character. They make the story for me, even more than the plot. And Kiersten does such a great job with the characters! Here's a look at just a few...

Evie. 
Evie is funny, intelligent, thoughtful, sarcastic, kind, sassy and pretty---and she loves pink and Tasey, who is also pink. What kind of girl can't be amazing if she likes pink and has a bedazzled taser? Don't mess with that. I love her journey. She's a teenager living an abnormal life but that's just the way it is; she doesn't really question it---at least not out loud. She has tantrums, loves her tv show (which reminds of one unnamed girl who watched Dawson's Creek and One Tree Hill and Beverly Hills 90210 as a teen!) and has a best friend, who is a mermaid but hey, everyone needs a friend. She is strong and insecure yet secure and knows how to push buttons. I like that she doesn't hold back and that she speaks her mind.  She tries to see the good in those around her, and I like that too. Yet, under all of that, under all the work and the bag-and-tags, she longs for normalcy--even though part of her doesn't know what that even looks like. Evie is a win. A bleeping win.

Lend. 
He's perfect. Well, in the lead guy way and not in the stereotype that sometimes exists in YA. He's a simple character, yet that makes him more believable and more realistic. He's good and his ability is really unique. He's charming, down-to-earth way and he connects with Evie on a real level. Their relationship is top-notch. He's a fun character and I was so, so glad...well. You can just read it and then figure it out yourself. :)


Reth.
Is it wrong that I loved him? He intrigued me. Reth is a fascinating character. He's a faerie, uniquely gorgeous and terrifying, and he's Evie's ex. Her very powerful, manipulative, secretive ex. Yet, he still has a hold on her and a mysterious past that keeps coming back. He's a mystery throughout the whole story, which kept me hanging on to find out more and it was never what I expected. He's very complex and very unreadable. Is he good? Is he bad? I won't tell you. But I do know that he's smoldering.


These are only three of the major players in the story. Even the minor characters were so vivid and developed. Every single one she wrote into the story was there for a reason, which really challenged me as a writer. Purpose is written all through this book, as well as humor. It was a fun read. I could, really, go on and on about these characters: Raquel, Lish, Jaques, Charlotte...Well, I won't ruin all the fun.

Paranormalcy comes out on August 31. Go buy it. OR, you can pre-order it. And as Kiersten would tweet, "everytimeyoupreorderparanormalcy supernatural teens who absolutely, no matter what on threat of death CANNOT be together,  make out anyway. How can that not make you pre-order it? For the love of supernatural teens everywhere...bleeping get Paranormalcy! :) 


PS. Check back on Thursday for an interview of Paranormal proportions with Kiersten White.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!! I appreciate you stopping by! :)