8.12.2010

Thursday Thirteen w/Kim Harrington and Sheela Chari

 In a trendy and chic Mexican restaurant in an undisclosed location filled with margaritas and loud music, sat five book-passionate women. They chatted. They laughed. They demanded the Enchiladas be released with powerful voices. They talked about books and writing. 

In the end, after handfuls of chips, one of them pulled out a little notebook and asked thirteen random questions to two of the women. These women? Kim Harrington and Sheela Chari, Elevensies (authors debuting in 2011, in case you wondered.)


Since we are in a Mexican restaurant, it's only fitting that I ask what item on the menu you would be and why?
Kim: Enchilada because I'm cheesy. (laughs)
Sheela: Nachos because I'm a bit of everything. 
(We ordered both of these items.) 

What were you listening to on the way here?
Kim: 101.7 WFNX. You can listen online, too.
Sheela: My GPS. 

Where is your favorite place to be?
Kim: Disneyworld. It's the happiest place on earth!
Sheela: San Diego. I like the beaches, California, the food--the avocados.

What is a something that always makes you laugh? 
Kim: Family Guy
Sheela: Laurel & Hardy 
(If you don't know what that is...click here.)
 
What do you eat when you are sick?
Sheela: Apples and toast.
Kim: Pasta
Sheela: Wait! Soup. I'm allergic to apples.
*blank stares all around*
Sheela: I forgot. I wasn't as a kid....

Tell us two truths and a lie...
Kim: I was a DJ in college. I'm in Mensa. I have one brother.
Sheela: I fell off a horse. I fell off a deck. I fell off a subway. 

Where is one place you want to go that you haven't been?
Kim: California
Sheela: Italy

Will you tell us a secret?
Kim: When I was little I was obsessed with sharks. You could name one and I'd list all the facts about that species. I even collected shark teeth...wait, don't put that on your blog.
Sheela: I wanted to marry Michael Jackson when I was little.

What is the first book you remember reading yourself?
Kim: Rocky and Bullwinkle
Sheela: Ribsy by Beverly Cleary

What is a book you want to read again for the first time? 
Sheela: A Wrinkle in Time
Kim: Hunger Games

What are 3 words you hate? 
Kim: Q-tip. Mucus. Moist.
Sheela: Fascinating. Secrete. Membrane.

How long have you been writing?
Kim: Since I had crayons! I used to write poems about my dog. (She also mentioned something about creepy houses but we missed it in the laughter.)
Sheela: I knew I wanted to be a writer in 3rd grade. My mother said, "No, why?"(kidding. ish.) 

What is your writing process?
Kim: Butt in chair.
Sheela: 500 words a day....on the days that I write. 

What advice do you have for aspiring writers?
Kim: Read and write a lot.
Sheela: Get off the internet. 
Kim: Don't be afraid to write crap. Go with that. Crap can be fixed. You can't fix a blank page. 
Sheela: Revise.

Also, as motivation, if you  comment on this, I'll give you something awesome. AND if you follow the blog, YOU can get something awesome next week. Really. Don't miss Thursday. :)

Kim's book Clarity will be released in March 2011. 

Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch an object and the visions come to her. It's a gift.
And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case — but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother — who has supernatural gifts of his own — becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?


Sheela's book Vanished comes out July 2011. 
How does a beloved Indian instrument vanish from the hands of a late, renowned musician and end up in the possession of a potato-chip eating, perpetually tardy, eleven-year old girl?

This is what Neela Krishnan, Arlington's budding veena player, must figure out if she wants her instrument back after it vanishes one day from a church. What she soon discovers is that her veena's "vanishing" is no accident but part of a bizarre chain of disappearances involving a missing, retired minister, a kooky church sextant guarding a dragon teakettle, and Lynne, the new girl at school with a huge wad of cash and a mysterious connection to the dead musician. Hot on the trail of the lost veena, Neela winds up in India, where her success depends largely on her wits, her speed, and unlikeliest of all, a pack of baseball cards.

3 comments:

  1. Fascinating interview, Danielle! Haha. Seriously, thanks for having dinner and extracting all these answers from us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great fun. I especially loved Sheela's apple and toast remedy, minus the apples.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!! I appreciate you stopping by! :)