8.25.2010

Mockingjay: Unspoiler-y quotes

I was going to write some grand review when I finished Mockingjay but I can't. Not yet. I'm processing. That....that was....sigh. I don't know. I can't even answer it. I can't sleep because of all these thoughts hanging out up there, replaying, analyzing. Since this has happened before, I anticipated this problem and I posted quotes that I loved as I was reading. As non-spoilery as possible of course...AND with page numbers. :)

"I stick to the road out of habit but it's a bad choice, because it's full of the remains of those who tried to flee. Some were incinerated entirely." (page 5, Katniss)

"A hush has fallen over the room, and I can feel it spreading across Panem. A nation leaning in toward its screens. Because no one has ever talked about what it's really like in the arena before." (page 23, Katniss)

"This is the one rule I think I will make an effort to abide." (page 52)

"Want me to lie about it?"
"No, I want you to rethink it & come up with the right opinion." (page 54)

"In other words, I step out of line and we're all dead." (page 58)

"Well don't expect us to be too impressed. We just saw Finnick Odair in his underwear." (page 82)

"I feel sick. Heartsick." (page 118)


"I look at my little sister and think how she has inherited the best qualities in our family: my mother's healing hands, my father's level headedness and my fight. There's something else there, entirely her own. An ability to look into the confusing mess of life and see things for what they are."  (page 184, Katniss)

"Fire is catching! And if we burn, you burn with us!" (page 100, Katniss)

"It's gone. He's gone. Whatever existed between us is gone. All that's left is my promise to kill Snow. I tell myself this ten times a day."  (page 195, Katniss)

"Back in the old days...Gale said things like this and worse. But then they were just words. Here, put into practice, they become deeds that can never be reversed." (page 205, Katniss)

 "Once I feel his hand on my cheek and try to trap it, but it dissolves like mist through my fingers." (page 218, Katniss)

"I'm on a frosting sailboat, tossed around by blue-green waves, the deck shifting beneath my feet. My palms press into the wall to steady myself. This wasn't part of the plan." (page 229, Katniss)

"Finally he can see me for who I really am. Violent. Distrustful. Manipulative. Deadly.  And I hate him for it." (page 232, Katniss)


"Could you really hear him screaming?"
"That was only part of it," she says. "Like the jabberjays in the arena. Only it was real. And it didn't stop after an hour. Tick tock."
"Tick, tock," I whisper back. 
Roses. Wolf mutts. Tributes. Frosted dolphins. Friends. Mockingjays. Stylists. Me. Everything screams in my dreams tonight. " (page 245)


"Ladies and gentlemen...."
His voice is quiet, but mine rings through the room. "Let the Seventy-sixth Hunger Games begin!" (page 251)


"As a child, watching my mother, I learned that once a pool of blood has reached a certain size, there's no going back." (page 278, Katniss)

"Underground, where I dread dying, which is stupid because even if I die abovegroud, the next thing they'll do is bury me underground anyway." (page 296, Katniss)


"Thanks for the water," Peeta says.
"No problem," Gale replies. "I wake up ten times a night anyway."
"To make sure Katniss is still here?" asks Peeta.
"Something like that," Gale admits." (page 328) Great page!


"I was supposed to shoot him. That was my job." (page 344)


"I am Cinna's bird, ignited, flying frantically to escape something inescapable. The feathers of flame that grow from my body. Beating my wings only fans the blaze. I consume myself, but to no end." (page 348, Katniss)***

"Even in my deadened, drugged condition, this sends a stab of pain through me. Reminding me that there are no limits to his cruelty. And how he will go to his grave trying to destroy me." (page 356, Katniss)
"Although no one sees it, the Meadow turns green again." (page 388, Katniss)
The End


What about you? What are some lines that you liked? (Try not to be spoiler-y...)


***Chapter 25 (pages 348-the ending paragraph on 350 are my FAVORITE. Just, so you know.***

4 comments:

  1. Could you please write down the people who said the quotes next to the quotes? That would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really helpful!! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Thank youuu!!!! You saved my life by doing this!!!! <3333

    ReplyDelete
  4. My life saved too! Stupid english thinking notes...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!! I appreciate you stopping by! :)