1.26.2011

Julie Kagawa Week: The Iron Queen

Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: January 25, 2011
Series or Standalone: Third in series 
ISBN: 978-0373210183
Format: Paperback, 386 pages

Description:
Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
My name is Meghan Chase.


I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.


This time, there will be no turning back.

First line: Eleven years ago, on my sixth birthday, my father disappeared.

I LOVE THIS BOOK. It’s my favorite of the series (until the next of course because nothing will be as great as a whole book in Ash’s perspective. I’m drooling already).

Why do I love this book? I’ve made a list.

Great opening. From page one, we see the repercussions from the decision at the end of Iron Daughter. You start immediately rooting for Meghan. The things that unfold on the first ten pages are the reasons for everything in the rest. You know, immediately, that there’s a threat. Not only for the Nevernever, not only for Ash. But for Meghan. For her family. That is one thing you don’t mess with.

The rest of my list is all centered around the characters. They are the thing I can talk about the most without ruining the book sooo...characters! Again, Julie Kagawa develops these amazing characters.

Meghan. I love Meghan in this book. I think this book completely blows her character out of the water and makes me look back on her in the other two books with fondness. Really. She’s that good here. The entire book is Meghan’s journey to save them, to save Nevernever, to fight the Iron Fey and mostly, to survive.

Ash. He is an incredible character. If you didn’t catch that before, you catch it here. He sacrifices a lot for Meghan and he works so incredibly hard to keep her safe. Plus, they have lovey-dovey moments of goodness.

Grim. “I am a cat.” That says it all, right? I mean, he knows everything. He’s a smart cat.

Puck. I’m team Ash but I like Puck—even when he makes unwise decisions—because he’s a good friend to Meghan. He’s a good friend to Ash even, deep down. He’s a good guy all around. And funny. But he proves that no every good guy is perfect.

The truth comes out! Meghan discovers many things that affect her life forever. Things I can’t tell you because they will spoil but know that they are big. Really big.


The end. I said in my review of Iron Daughter that the end of this book killed me. It did. The wait for Iron Knight is going to be looooong. The whole world is on verge of disappearing. The other books in the series have been leading us to this moment. This is the ultimate battle to save the Nevernever or to lose it. In the end, it all comes down Meghan and a choice. It all comes down to the Iron Fey.

The result is brilliant.

I can't say anything else really--because I don't want to spoil anything. But know that this book is brilliant.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a must-read series! Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. by far, the most amazing cover. look at those reds! and pinks! and spiral and twirls and oh gosh, have i ever wanted to read anything more??? SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (also, iron knight, the next on,= AWESOME title!!!!!!!!!!!!) is there a cover release yet????????? cross my fingers and hope its even better of a cover, though i don't really see how it possibly could be..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time and sharing your thoughts on this series. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!! I appreciate you stopping by! :)