1.25.2011

Julie Kagawa Week: The Iron Daughter

Publisher: Harlequin Teen

Publication Date: August 1, 2010 
Series or Standalone: Second in series 
ISBN: 978-0373210138
Format: Paperback, 304 pages
Description:  
Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

First line: The Iron King stood before me, magnificent in his beauty, silver hair whipping about me like an unruly waterfall.


I really enjoyed The Iron Daughter. The story opens with Meghan in the Winter Court—and Ash nowhere to be found. When he does show up, which is always in the nick of time, he isn’t interested in her anymore. Feeling alone and trapped in the cold world of Winter, things can’t be any worse for Meghan. Of course, shortly after the Summer Court hands over the changing of the seasons to The Winter Court, something horrible happens. Things for Meghan and Ash and the whole of the courts are at stake and only Meghan can save them.

Meghan grew a lot in this book. You can tell the things she faced in IK changed her. I know I liked her more. I believed her selflessness and quest to save the realm with her friends at her side. This story takes them farther and deeper into danger than the last.

Like in the first book, the character interactions in Iron Daughter are incredible. They feed off each other and bounce off the page. I can’t even tell you how much I love each of Kagawa’s characters. Even if they seem minor and unimportant, they are so well developed and alive (and rarely unimportant.) Each one adds a unique piece to the story. As always, Grim is my favorite (next to Ash.) Why? “I am a cat.”

Aside from her amazing characterizations, the details in every scene are intense and vivid. Every place Meghan and crew travel is painted in my head because of her descriptions. The Nevernever and our world are both dripping in great scenery.

Ash and Puck. Ash and Puck. Well, Ash is smoldery. Puck is Puck. Separately, both characters add so much: humor, heart, love, smolder, swoon, joy. Together they bring all of that and witty, sarcastic banter. I can’t get enough of that! Plus, this is the book Meghan chooses between them, or they choose for her, or fate steps in. You can call it what you like.

Everything builds and builds in Iron Daughter to lead up to the most amazing ending. I seriously think I was stopped breathing and died. Well, until I read Iron Queen, that is.

2 comments:

  1. this is epic. completely. i sooo need to read these books. only thing i've been thinking about recently. they sound so good. also romance? yesyesyes. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so good. I cant wait to read these.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!! I appreciate you stopping by! :)